The church of Pantanassa, the second dedicated to the Virgin Mary in the city of Patras, was founded in 1857 and inaugurated on August 30, 1859.
It is the work of the director of the "Polytechnic School", architect Athanasios Frearitis and Lysandros Kaftantzoglou and is one of the brilliant examples of neoclassical church architecture of the 19th century, impressing with its imposingness and the harmony of its proportions.
The interior decoration of the church is of similar splendor, as the mural was executed by Konstantinos Prinopoulos (1874), while the icons of the iconostasis were painted by Spyridon Hatzigiannopoulos.
The marble iconostasis of Pantanassa is also a work of art from 1878 and is a work like the pulpit of the marble sculptor Benedict Skalkotos, designed by the architect Spyridon Tzetzos.
Its interior is illuminated by many other tributes of great artistic and historical value, donations from prominent families of Patras but also simple pious citizens.
The church of Pantanassa is one of the most important monuments of Greek neoclassical architecture, with great aesthetic, historical and religious value for Patras.
Al. Ipsilantou 201, Patra 262 25, Greece