The Church of the Annunciation is located on Maizonos Street, in the heart of Patras and is the metropolitan church of the city.
It was founded in 1842 and inaugurated in 1846, while the building was completed in 1856.
Many Patras families and to a large extent the Epirotes of the city, many of whom were well-known merchants, contributed financially to the completion of the church of Evangelistria.
The church is an imposing neoclassical style with two large bell towers on its face.
In 1893 the interior decoration of the church was completed, wood-carved gilded roof, painting and written decoration, in designs by the architect Ernst Ziller, while eight large icons were made by the hagiographer Hatzigiannopoulos.
The church is decorated with hagiographies by Kallivokas, Fanelli, Stellakatou, etc. while the Crucified is a rare masterpiece of Nikolaos Doxaras, of 1750.
Important works of art are the wood-carved elements of the temple, such as the pulpit, the doors of the sanctuary, the bronze chandeliers, etc. works of important craftsmen of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century and donations of old pious Patrin families.
The Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin after the earthquake of 1993, was statically restored, while the restoration of the interior decoration is completed, as it is one of the most important monuments of the city with religious, historical and artistic value.
Maizonos 107, Patra, Ελλάδα