To the west of the Castle, above Agios Georgios Square and flanked by Germanou, Sotiriadou and Pantokratoros streets, is the Roman Conservatory of Patras.
It must have been erected earlier than the Athens Conservatory (Herodeion 160 AD) and as archaeological research has shown, it ceased to be used after the 3rd AD. century.
It has all the basic parts of the Theater, concave, orchestra, foreground, stage and backstage, and is smaller than the Herodion. As the diameter of its cavity is half that of the Athens Conservatory, it is concluded that it can hold half the spectators (approximately 2,500 in Patras, 5-6,000 in Athens).
The hollow of the theater is not carved nor is it supported by any natural support and for its support it was necessary to build a retaining wall that is not preserved in its entire height.
The ascent is built of stones and lined with bricks in the isodomic way, and is reinforced at intervals by massive, built in the same way, pillars.
The same construction is observed on the wall of the facade as well as on the partitions of the stage and the backstage.
The wall of the stage towards the side of the hollow has eight niches, just as the low wall of the foreground opposite the orchestra has niches.
The orchestra is semicircular lined with marble slabs and is separated from the hollow by a marble low chest.
The spectators enter the Conservatory from three built stairs that start from the back of the cavity and end at the foyer.
The molding divides the cavity into two parts.
From the 3rd AD century until 1889, when it was unveiled, the site of the Conservatory was used differently (tombs were found). In 1889 it was covered with soil and its first revelation was made when rubble was needed to fill the port.
In the 50's, the architect from Patras, Ioannis Vassilios, took care of the restoration of the Conservatory and the remodeling of the lower cornice.
In recent years the Roman Conservatory is used to host cultural and artistic events during the summer.
Palaion Patron Germanou & Sotiriadou, Patras 262 25, Greece