The Municipal Markets were the basic building infrastructure for the cities of the Greek state, which is why during the 19th century there was the care of building such buildings in central parts of urban centers to serve the needs of the local market in products.
In Patras and according to the plan of Voulgaris, it was planned to build two markets which were built at the end of the century.
The Arctic Municipal Market that would serve the lower city of Patras, known today as the "Silver Market", was built between 1881 and 1883 and is attributed to the architect Spyridon Tzetzo.
It was located on the square defined by Agiou Andreou, Zaimi, Kapsali and Aratou streets.
It was a neoclassical building with a symmetrical structure of its volumes that developed around a perimeter where the shops had their facades. There were shops on the outside of the building from the side of Corinth Street, while in the center of this side was the main entrance of the Agora that led inside with a marble doorway and arched configuration.
It operated as a municipal market until before the war when it was abandoned.
Part of the building was destroyed during the war while the rest of the shops were used by the Municipality of Patras until the '90s to store materials and house its workshops.
Today, reconstruction and utilization works of the building are being carried out on behalf of the Municipality of Patras.
Agiou Andreou 12, Patras 262 21, Greece